Bitcoin Mining Guide for Beginners : Everything you Wanted to Know!
If you have landed on this page, this means you want to know what bitcoin mining is, how it works, what are the mining machines required, what pool mining is, et al. This guide will help you know everything you wanted to know about Satoshi Nakamoto created Bitcoin mining process and rewards.
What is Bitcoin Mining?
Bitcoin’s network of mining is the process involved in creating new bitcoins. It involves solving a computational puzzle as well as maintaining a ledger of BTC transactions. The process of Bitcoins blockchain mining involves solving complex mathematical problems that need high-capacity computational power involving incredibly powerful computers. You can’t solve them by hand. Over the years, Bitcoin miners have become very sophisticated as they have started using complex machinery to accelerate mining operations.
Mining bitcoins is painstaking, costly, and occasionally rewarding. As BTC miners are rewarded with bitcoins from the network, it has a magnetic effect on miners. The entrepreneurial types view bitcoin mining as pennies from heaven, similar to California gold prospectors in 1849.
How does Bitcoin Mining Work?
BTC Mining: Explained Lucidly for the Beginners
Bitcoin mining is a process to digitally add transaction records to the blockchain. A BTC blockchain is a publicly distributed ledger that holds the history of every Bitcoin transaction.
Mining bitcoins is essentially a record-keeping process, which can be executed through immense computing power. For ensuring the payment network is secure and trustworthy, Bitcoin’s decentralized peer-to-peer network is contributed by every BTC miner across the globe.
Bitcoin is mined by Bitcoin miners, who use the immense computing power of mining computers and electricity to solve complex mathematical problems. As the competition among the miners increases, the Bitcoin mining difficulty target of solving the mathematical problem also increases.
BTC mining is a record-keeping process that requires the miners to verify transactions of the legitimacy of Bitcoin. To ensure that the payment network is trustworthy and secure, Bitcoin miners around the world contribute to the decentralized peer-to-peer network of Bitcoin.
When the powerful mining computer finds a solution and the transaction is verified, the block of information is confirmed and the transaction is added as the next block link in the blockchain.
There are twofold results of Bitcoin mining:
- When ASIC machines or powerful computers solve the complex mathematical problems of the BTC network, new Bitcoins are produced. With every
- Bitcoin miners make the network secure and trustworthy through verification of the transaction information.
A BTC transaction is called to take place when someone sends bitcoin to another. In the case of fiat currency transactions (whether made online, point-of-sale systems, or in-store), all transactions are documented by physical receipts, point-of-sale systems, and banks.
In the case of bitcoin mining, the miners clump transactions together in blocks and add them to a public record known as a blockchain. It is the nodes that maintain records of the blocks so that they can be verified in the future.
When miners add a new transaction block to the blockchain, it is their duty to check whether the transactions are accurate. This process of checking is very important because it makes sure that the BTC is not duplicated, also called “double spending”.
Let’s make it easier for you to understand. When a fiat currency is printed, there is always an issue of counterfeiting (especially by printing fake notes). However, when you spend a fiat currency note in a store, you get some product or service by handing over the note to the hands of the clerk.
When it comes to digital currency, there is a chance that the person spending bitcoin has actually made a copy of the same. He/she is using the copy of bitcoin to purchase something from a seller and holding the original BTC. The verification of transactions by the miners ensures that there is no double-spending in the system, making the network secure and trustworthy.
The miner who first finds the solution and verifies the transaction receives a reward (in the form of free Bitcoins) from the network.
It usually takes 10 minutes on average to add a block. The reward is halved after the creation of every 210,000 blocks, which takes around 4 years. The latest reward halving took place on May 11, 2020.
The algorithm of Blockchain says that there will be 33 reward halvings in the entire lifecycle of Bitcoin mining. Till now 3 halvings have taken place after getting started on January 3, 2009. The rewards and halving dates are given below:
- Pre-having period: From Jan 3, 2009, to November 27, 2012: 50 BTCs were halved.
- On November 28, 2012, the first BTC reward halving took place. The block reward was halved from 50 BTCs to 25 BTCs after the creation of 210,000 blocks.
- On July 9, 2016, the second BTC reward halving took place. The block reward was halved from 25 BTCs to 12.5 BTCs after the creation of 420,000 blocks.
- On May 11, 2020, the third and latest BTC reward halving took place. The block reward was halved from 12.5 BTCs to 6.25 BTCs after the creation of 630,000 blocks.
This halving process will continue 30-times more after every 4-years until the block reward tends to be near-zero (essentially below 1 satoshi, the smallest unit of Bitcoin).
Is Bitcoin Mining Still Profitable?
Yes, Bitcoin mining is still profitable and that’s why the mining community is still growing. This points to the fact that mining investment is still lucrative and attractive.
Mining Bitcoin used to be very easy and extremely profitable. This made many miners join the network. However, with time, it has now become almost impossible for individual miners to operate profitably.
A single miner has to take help of either:
- Expensive mining resources, or
- Mining pools
As the mining resources are expensive and the amount of electricity required for the same is also very costly, it is almost impossible for an individual miner to sustain mining operations single-handedly profitably. That’s why more and more miners are joining the mining pools. These mining pools run a large mining operation and generally run their operations from countries where the electricity cost is very low.
- As per the latest estimates of mining pools until the end of 2020, the net profit of miners by using Bitmain’s AntMiner S9 machine and $0.05 per kWh electricity cost is around US$1.50 per day.
- With up to 110Th/s hash rate and power consumption of 3250W, Bitmain Antminer S19 Pro mining SHA-256 algorithm provides miners a profit of US$32.51 per day. This translates to a profit of US$975.29 per month and US$11,703.43 per year.
For the miners to keep making money, two important aspects are important. While one is the increase in hash rate with an increase in competition among miners, the other is the amount of Bitcoin price increases over time. In the last 8-years, the BTC price has increased by around 33,000% (making the annualized return as over 4,000%).
What is a Bitcoin Mining Machine?
Bitcoin mining machines, also called rigs, are powerful computers and a set of hardware networks that solve the mathematical problem required for mining a block. These are special hardware based on algorithms for mining the largest cryptocurrency.
If you want to mine Bitcoin, you’ll have to do it competitively. That’s why you should invest in powerful computer equipment such as a GPU (graphics processing unit) or ASIC (Application-Specific Integrated Circuit).
ASIC chips are powerful means that use less electricity and at the same time help in the faster mining of BTCs. These machines are expensive and are capable of solving complex mathematical problems at a very high speed. Suppose, a bitcoin mining rig solves a problem in 14 terahashes per second, it means that the machine attempts 1,012 times for solving a block per second.
How to choose an ASIC Mining Rig?
ASIC rigs or mining machines should be chosen on the basis of the following factors:
- Performance of a rig is gauged by the hash rate. Hash rate is the number of times attempts made by the machine for solving a block per second. The higher the number of attempts per second, the probability of finding a solution faster increases.
- Electricity consumption must be low.
- Price of the rig and your budget.
Top 5 Best Bitcoin Hardware Machines or ASICs
- Antminer S19: 95.0 TH/s hash rate and US$6,000-to-8,500 cost.
- Antminer S19 Pro: 110.0 TH/s hashrate and US$8,000-to-10,000 cost.
- WhatsMiner M30S+: 100.0 TH/s hashrate and US$2,500 cost.
- WhatsMiner M30S++: 112.0 TH/s hashrate and US$2,850 cost.
- AvalonMiner 1246: 90.0 TH/s hash rate and US$5,500 cost.
Join A Mining Pool
Mining Bitcoins individually is expensive. That’s why it is most suitable for crypto mining firms and corporations, who can invest large amounts of money in capital goods including computing software, machinery, and electricity.
As an individual, you can also mine Bitcoins by joining a reliable and renowned pool mining company. Here, you can invest a small amount of your investible money in pool mining companies to buy a share of pool mining of Bitcoin. Once the company receives a cryptocurrency mining reward, you as an investor receive a fraction of that.
Top 11 Best Bitcoin Mining Pools
Some of the best Bitcoin mining pools are:
- Slush Pool
- Cudo Miner
- CoinFly, and many more
China bans and crackdown on Bitcoin mining rigs have adversely affected the hash rate of mining. Environmental impact and concerns (headlined by the tweets made by Tesla CEO Elon Musk) have made most of the miners shift from coal-based electricity consumption to more environmentally friendly (hydroelectricity) electricity consumption. In fact, most of the BTC mining firms have now relocated to various parts of America.
Get a Bitcoin Wallet to Receive Bitcoin Mining Reward
Bitcoin wallets help you to receive your Bitcoins. It also enables you to manage and store your Bitcoin addresses. Each address has a public key as well as a matching private key.
There is a unique combination of characters in a public key. It looks something similar to this: 18ukxpD1eqnVjux13ehEz8r4d8py1dSdzw
Wallets work like a bank account number, where you can receive your BTCs from someone if you tell them your public key. Remember that every bitcoin address is public and anyone can find every transaction details that passed through it. However, the private key is secret, which is known to the owner of the wallet only. Always remember the private key otherwise you can lose bitcoins forever.
There are different types of wallets:
- Online wallets
- Software wallets
- Paper wallets
- Hardware wallets
Many people put their cryptos on exchanges through which they buy them. Many store bitcoins with the help of their online/software wallets by using the internet. However, the most secure ones are the hardware wallets, which are offline in nature. Hackers and malicious attacks are not possible in the case of hard wallets.
The number of BTC addresses is growing. Here are some relevant data
- Chainanalysis data shows that there are more than 460 million Bitcoin addresses. However, only 37% of them are economically relevant. While 288 million addresses don’t hold any bitcoin at all, 172 million addresses regularly make bitcoin transactions.
- Among the 172 viable Bitcoin addresses, 147 million belong to cryptocurrency exchanges, merchants, bitcoin services, and other types of market players. There are only 25 million economically active wallets present, which belong to private people on the network.
- The growth rate of BTC wallets started rising sharply in 2017. In January 2017, the number of blockchain wallets was 11.68 million. However, as of Statistica’s latest data, there are more than 71.4 million wallet users worldwide (as of April 13, 2021). This means that in just 3 years and 4 months, the number of wallet users has increased by almost 60 million.
- While the number of whale accounts (holding more than 1,000 BTCs) increased by 7%, the smaller accounts (having 5-to-100 BTCs) increased by 4%. While the Bitcoin whales hold around 2.3 million BTCs, smaller accounts hold more than 10 million BTCs. You should also buy Bitcoin to experience an exponential increase in the price of Bitcoin in the coming 5-to-10 years.
You can buy and sell Bitcoins legitimately from a cryptocurrency exchange or Bitcoin ATMs (BATMs). In case you are bullish on the future prospects of Bitcoin BTC, Ethereum ETH, Ethereum Classic ETC, Litecoin LTC, and other altcoins, you can buy Monero XMR, Cardano ADA, and other digital currency, Chainlink LINK, Ripple XRP, Binance Coin BNB, Basic Attention Token BAT, Bitcoin Cash BCH, Stellar Lumens XLM, Tron TRX, Tezor XTZ, Cosmos ATOM, DASH DASH, Bitcoin Gold BTG, and others.
After buying, transfer them to hot wallets (including mobile app wallets and software wallets) or cold wallets (including most secure hardware wallets) and hold them for a longer time period for a significant price appreciation. Keep your XRP safe with Ledger Nano S, Trezor One, other Ledger and Trezor models, or other popular ones.
Top 4 Best Hardware Wallets
- Ledger Nano X: Cost is US$119.
- TREZOR T: Cost is US$159.
- Ledger Nano S: Cost is US$59.
- TREZOR One: Cost is US$59.
Choose Cryptocurrency Copy-Trading Bots to Increase ROI
Cryptocurrency Trading Robots (such as NapBots.com) automatically scan the market in real-time and trade for you. They run 24×7, which means that you can keep earning your passive income even when you are sleeping. This gives you an edge over other investors as it enables the bot to book profits on your behalf when other investors are sleeping.
Smart crypto investors always remain prepared to get the best of a big market move. They don’t wake up suddenly. To remain alert round the clock, they use cryptocurrency trading bots so that they don’t miss any big market movement.
NapBots.com is a Trading Bot, cloud-based platform, on which you can connect to major exchanges such as Binance, Bitmex, Bitfinex, OKEX, Kraken, Bitstamp, and Bitpanda.
The best thing about the Napbots trading software is that you don’t have to monitor charts and candles to predict your next move. Any novice trader with zero skills can also start trading like a pro and earn money with this unique trading tool. Let Napbots take full control over your trades in just a few clicks. Now, sit back and enjoy earning money.
You may also check “Napbots Review – Simple Way To Increase Your Crypto Returns” before taking the plunge.
What’s so special about NapBots?
NapBots crypto trading software is special because it comes with:
- A unique trading algorithm that processes market data for you
- A unique crypto trading bot library so that you can create your own mix of trading strategies
- Autopilot mode that enables you to automate trading 24×7
- An easy-to-use interface so that you can copy the proven strategies of NapBots to make successful trades and make money
How does NapBots help you to Make Money?
With NapBots, you can enjoy financial independence by trading cryptocurrencies on autopilot mode and earn money automatically. To make it work on your behalf, you have to do the following:
Step #1: Connect to one of the available trust exchanges.
Step #2: Select from the unique list of performing Bots of NapBots
Step #3: Choose a plan that suits your investment style
Once you have completed these three steps, NapBots is ready to trade cryptos and earn money for you. Happy Trading!
Why Choose NapBots?
- NapBots offers complete trading automation solutions through the use of its own tested trading strategies; offering quantitative trading strategies previously reserved for hedge funds to the public.
- The setup and installation process are easy. So, non-experts can also use it. The simple and special approach of NapBots helps it provide you with excellent ROI.
- The team of professionals behind NapBots has extensive experience in the financial market. They have put their years of experience in place so that you can easily automate the management of your funds with no technical skills. This service can run 24/7 and work as your passive source of revenue even when you sleep.
Pricing is simple and there are no setup fees. A 7-day trial is also available.
Are You Ready To Start Automating Your Passive Income Now?
If you still need assistance, you can refer to the following guides:
- Should you invest in bitcoin and crypto currencies?
- How to invest in crypto currencies like a pro?
- The 3 best ways to invest in gold
- Stock trading and investing
- What you should know about crypto taxes
- How can you minimise your crypto taxes
- What is the next bitcoin investment like?
- Big tech push toward crypto currencies
- Religion and trading cryptos
- Muslims in bitcoin and cryptocurrencies
- Trading in India: Is the government planning to ban cryptocurrencies?
- Can become bitcoin a safe investment?